1. SodaIt may taste good, and you may even feel addicted, but soda, even , is terrible for you. One bottle, which is actually two servings, not one, contains about 250 calories, most of which are from . The diet varieties contain nasty chemicals that may cause cancer… and most dark-colored sodas are loaded with caffeine. With all those empty calories, gross chemicals, and jitters-inducing caffeine, this tops my list of foods to avoid.
2. ChipsLoaded with fat and sodium, along with dozens of weird preservatives, corn and potato chips are another food to avoid. They’ll destroy even the most conscientious diet, and since they’re often fried, may cause acne break-outs. Eww! If you must have chips, opt for the all-natural baked kind.
3. Canned/boxed FoodCheck the nutrition label on that can of Spaghetti O’s or Hamburger Helper or Easy Mac and you’ll see why anything in a can or box is another food to avoid. They’re full of fat, sodium, and so many chemicals I can’t even pronounce! A good rule of thumb: if you can’t pronounce it, let alone figure out what it is, don’t eat it!
4. Fast FoodDid you know that one fast food value meal (burger, fries, drink) can contain as many calories as you’re supposed to eat in one whole day? Not to mention the high fat content, chemically-processed ingredients, and big potential for food-borne illnesses, like deadly e coli. fast food… and if you can’t, then opt for something a little healthier, like a salad without dressing or a without the mayo.
5. White BreadThis is an item people are usually surprised to see on a list of foods to avoid. It’s just bread, right? Nope. White bread is made with flour that’s been, literally, bleached. It’s leeched of nearly every nutrient, then packed with preservatives so it won’t spoil. Opt for natural whole-grain breads instead. They’re tastier, filled with valuable fiber, and aren’t bleached.
6. Frozen EntreesJust like canned or boxed . Most frozen entrees (TV dinners) are loaded with nasty chemicals and lots of fat and sodium. Some aren’t though, so be sure to check labels before you buy.
7. Fruit «cocktail»Did you know that some fruit juice «cocktails» actually contain more sugar than soda? It’s true! Before you buy or drink, check out the label. On the front, if it says «fruit juice cocktail» rather than «juice,» that’s a bad sign. Also, look at the nutrition label on the side. If one of the ingredients is , stay away. Opt for healthy 100% juice brands instead.
8. Ground BeefEvery time I hear of a deadly e coli outbreak, especially the ones that can be traced back to feces in ground beef, I shudder… how many people ate that poop-laden ground beef and didn’t get sick? A pound of ground beef can contain meat from an average of 55 different cows… and trust me, you do NOT want to know which parts they include in that meat! Buy a cut of beef and ask the butcher to grind it. At least you’ll know which part of the one cow it came from, and how the meat itself was handled, drastically reducing the chances you’ll be eating feces and e coli.
Gross! Now that you’re read my list of foods to avoid, will you ever eat them again? I know it’s hard to give up fast food, and soda tastes so good… but trust me, these are all to ! Which of these surprised you? Which ones will you give up for sure? Do tell!